Monday, March 21, 2011

The working artists studio

Well, for anyone who read the last post and the poetry of time, I feel that you needed to be rewarded with some visual content today with the likes of me returning back to the business of art.

I didn't leave the business of art, but as you can read by the last half dozen or so posts, I have been quite busy in my imagination and have been posting most anything but images specific to making art.


(my studio is hard at work this week)


As I have previously written I have a group show coming up at I.Wolk Gallery in St. Helena and Ma(i)sonry Napa Valley on April 9th and 10th. The art featured will be there for a month or so if you can't make the opening itself.

Beating dead horses is not something I savor, but I can go on about making art a business and todays post is no exception.
So often the lament in casual conversation with another artist is that "there is no time" or asking me the question of "where and when do you get inspiration?" "Do you ever feel uninspired?"

I cannot stress enough to anyone who will listen that inspiration is a bunch of hooey. Crap.

Sure, we all like to see the awe-inspiring sunset, the unique textiles of Marakesh, the colors of Taipei, the masterpieces of Europe.
Well, duh, who doesn't?
But the fact of the matter is that most of us have a day to day in the here and now.

But a walk around the block, a bike ride to the market or a favorite path,

a drive in the rain,


an hour on the internet, a conversation with an interesting person, a movie, a magazine,

a tree,


a plate of donuts are sometimes all you need.



Really.

Or maybe encouragement from another artist.

Making art is about showing up and doing it.


Give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful sentiments that apply not only to art....lovely image of the magnolias...xv

    ReplyDelete