Saturday, May 28, 2011

inspiration


"order from chaos" kate salenfriend
The word inspiration or the notion of being inspired, here in my happy valley, if not the universe of art, tends to be a word of romance.

At one time or another, we have all learned the back ground of a particular work of art: When he lived in Spain and ....
during the golden age of Paris... in his home in the French Quarter...

Of course I would be foolish to say that art in general is inspired by the romance of our lives. So much of art comes from tragedy and loss, insanity, destitute(ness?), lost love, seeking.

When I participate in art shows I am always struck by how many collectors are very interested in the "story" behind the art.

At the beginning of my art career, I scoffed at this notion that there was a story or an experience that "informed" the art itself, but over the years, I've thought through this idea and have come to the conclusion that yes, I do paint from inspiration. Sometimes from joy, sometimes loss and sadness.

But that is exactly what might be a difficult pill to swallow.

If a collector is considering a painting, does it matter that the story or inspiration behind it is one of happiness or sadness?

Does a cloud of doom somehow follow that art with the collector into their home, only to remind them of this story every time they look at the art, or does the collector base his or her feelings about the art on their appreciation alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment